Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) & Links
How long have you been in business?
Safeguard has served the Chicago Metropolitan area for more than 30 years. Based in Franklin Park IL, Safeguard has thousands of satisfied customers in Illinois and Northern Indiana.
How do I know if I have a foundation problem?
If you think you have a foundation problem, the best thing to do is call Safeguard, Inc. for a free on-site consultation. Some symptoms of foundation problems you may find include:
- Sticking doors and windows
- Bowed walls
- Cracked interior and exterior walls
- Cracks in the foundation
- Sinking foundations
- Cracking, sinking, or slanting driveways and sidewalks
- Sloping floors
- Settling houses
- Leaky basements and water damage
What causes foundation problems?
Foundation problems are mainly caused by poor soil and water:
- Inadequate drainage that causes soil to swell creating movement in the foundation
- Roots of trees under and around you home can dry the soil causing it to expand and contract
- Uncompacted fill material
- Soft soil that cannot support the weight of the structure
- Clay soils naturally expand and contract, which causes your home to settle
- Weather changes including drought and very wet seasons can cause soil to contract, expand, or wash away; and water buildup that can leak into your home
What happens if I don’t fix my foundation problems?
Foundation problems that go unfixed can worsen causing further problems to the home, raising the cost of fixing those problems, and possibly lowering the value of your home.
Do I have to repair my foundation in order to sell my house?
In Illinois & Indiana, if the owner of a house, structure, or building is aware of a foundation problem and does not disclose it, the buyer can come back to the seller up to two years later and have it repaired at the seller’s expense. The only exception would be a buyer who is willing to accept the house “as is.” Meaning they know about the problems, but agree to buy the home without them being fixed.
What happens if I repair the house and it settles again?
Safeguard fully guarantees the work we do on any home for the life of the home. Any adjustments that need to be made to our work will be done without any cost to the homeowner. When you register with the Ram Jack Dealers Association National Warranty Trust we offer a Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty. This Warranty Trust allows Ram Jack customers to have access to warranty repairs, if they should arise, regardless of the status of your installing Ram Jack dealer.
Will my yard be in disrepair after the foundation repair is done?
Foundation repair can be a messy job. However, we will do everything we can to leave your lawn as close to the way we found it as possible. Sometimes the stress of being dug up may cause plants to die. We will work closely with the homeowner to address any lawn or landscaping concerns he/she may have.
Does insurance cover the cost of foundation repair?
Most standard homeowner insurance policies state that they will cover foundation damage, ONLY if it is the result of a plumbing leak. However, if there is not a leak, the homeowner will have to pay for the full cost of the repair on his/her own.
Member of the Better Business Bureau, National Association of the Remodeling Industry, and National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors.
- Ram Jack Distribution
- Better Business Bureau
- National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors
- Foundation Repair Network
Make an appointment with Safeguard Waterproofing - Ram Jack Illinois or start by calling (847) 603-4048.