Signs of Foundation Problems in Dallas
Know When to Call Our Foundation Repair Professionals
The foundation under your home is not something you pay a lot of attention to, but it should be. If a foundation starts suffering damages big or small, it should be taken seriously. Foundation damage could jeopardize the stability of your entire home. With a careful eye, you can identify a few telltale warning signs. These signs indicate that your foundation is in need of repair sooner than later.
To get a professional’s eye on your home’s foundation, though, turn to Ram Jack Texas - North Texas. Our team is trained to spot even the slightest signs of foundation damage. We can recommend a cost-effective fix. You can’t take chances with foundation repairs. Go with the name people have trusted for decades. Go with Ram Jack®.
Common Warning Signs of Foundation Damage
If you see any of these problems, your home might be experiencing foundation damage:
- Misaligned doors. Doors that stick when you try to open or close them are often indicators. Sticking often happens when the entire foundation has begun to shift. The same is true if you notice a door that doesn’t line up with its striker plate affixed to the doorjamb.
- Cracked and separated bricks. If your home has exposed brickwork, you should inspect it often. Issues with bricks are a great way to identify the first signs of foundation damage. Unexplained cracks and separations in the bricks can show that the foundation is shifting.
- Cracked and separated windows. A random crack in a windowpane can be a sign of foundation damage. Your windows should also fit snuggly in the wall. Any separation between the window frame and the rest of the wall is another warning sign.
- Cracked and separated fireplaces. Homes equipped with fireplaces have an additional means of exposing foundation damage. The bricks or mortar work in your fireplace should be uniform and clean. Cracks and separation indicate foundation problems are beginning.
- Separated interior walls. A major indicator of foundation damage is a separation that forms between an interior wall and the ceiling or floor. If you notice this issue, please contact us at (972) 992-1860 right away.
- Out-of-level countertops. Place a tennis ball on a countertop that should be flat and level. If it starts to roll one direction or another, beware. There is likely significant foundation damage under your home. For more precise science, use a carpenter’s level.
- Sloped floors. You can also use the tennis ball or level test on your floor. Any slope, no matter how minor, could be an indicator of a foundation problem that needs attention.
- Continual slab plumbing leaks. There are pipes that run inside and under the foundational slab of your home. When the foundation shifts or breaks, these pipes can also be affected. Have you have called a plumber multiple times for slab leaks in the last couple years? You should call on Ram Jack Texas - North Texas next.
10-Year Foundation Inspection
Foundation damage can occur in any home, new or old. However, they are far more common in older homes. If your home is at least 10 years old, you should schedule a foundation inspection. This is true whether or not you have seen signs of foundation damage. Years of shifting soil and intrusive tree roots can still affect your foundation without showing any external signs.
Foundation Warning Signs FAQ
How do I know if cracks are a sign of foundation damage?Hairline cracks of 1/16 of an inch are common on most buildings, but horizontal cracks are often a sign of trouble.
What kind of soil can cause the most foundation damage?Soils rich in clay are usually the biggest threat to a foundation because they absorb water easily.
Should I waterproof my basement to protect my foundation?In most cases yes! Water and moisture in a crawl space or basement is a leading cause of foundation problems.
My home has passed the 10 year mark. Should I have it inspected?Yes! We recommend a foundation inspection for any home that has passed the 10 year mark.
Are my drywall cracks a sign of foundation problems?If cracks in your drywall are occurring near windows, doors, or floors, this may be a sign of foundation problems.
Are sloping floors commonly caused by foundation shifting?Yes. Although it could be a structural problem in your crawlspace, it is more likely a sign of foundation movement. A professional inspection can clarify the real cause.
Get all the DFW foundation services you need by calling Ram Jack Texas - North Texas at (972) 992-1860 today!