Chicago Basement Leak Repair Services
Water in basement solutions
If you are experiencing flooding, cracks, or leaks in your basement, our professionals at Safeguard Waterproofing - Ram Jack Illinois can provide efficient and long-lasting solutions for your home.
Hard rains often expose the vulnerabilities in basements that have not been properly designed. Damage over time or from severe weather can also cause new leaks to form. Our team can find the right solutions for basement waterproofing to prevent more damage from occurring in your home.
Call (847) 603-4048 to learn more about our professional basement water leak repair services in Chicago.
Leaking Basement Warning Signs
You probably have a basement leakage problem if you can spot one or more of the following warning signs in your basement:
- Water seepage from the walls or floors
- General dampness or a musty odor in the basement
- Tile lifting from the floor
- Warped paneling or dry rot
- White powder on the walls
- Cracks in the walls or floors
- Rust on the furnace, water tank, or lolly columns
- Mildew or fungus
- Termite or other insect infestation
- Peeling paint on the walls
- Buckling walls
You probably have a leaking basement if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, and a professional inspection is a must as some causes of serious below grade basement damage are easily overlooked.
Cause of Basement Leaks
The most common cause of serious basement leaks is rainwater leaking through the basement floor or below-ground-level walls.
In a mild case, the water will slowly seep through porous walls and can be difficult to detect. In an extreme case, the water enters through visible holes and cracks and accumulates in deep puddles on the floor.
Unfortunately, it’s the water you can’t see that causes the most serious foundation problems. That’s why it is very important to have an experienced waterproofer inspect your basement and make recommendations to correct the problem before the problem becomes worse.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if my basement floods?
Wondering what to do when your basement floods from rain?
First and foremost, call the professionals at Safeguard Waterproofing - Ram Jack Illinois. In the meantime, if your basement floods, never walk into the water. Electrical wiring may be compromised resulting in electrified standing water. Once everyone is safe, you can take the following steps.
How to dry out your basement after a flood:
- Turn off the electricity - If needed, you can contact a licensed electrician to disconnect the power to the basement.
- Rent a gasoline powered water pump - Most industrial tool rental sites will have water pumps to allow you to remove all the water from your basement.
- Find the source of the flooding - Flooding can be caused by malfunctioning sump pumps, floor cracks, blocked floor drains, or shifting walls. If you can identify the source and temporarily disable it, this can prevent more immediate damage.
- Remove all wet and waterlogged items - Doing this as quickly as possible will prevent mold damage that can complicate the recovery process.
- Use a wet-dry vacuum to remove remaining water
- Rent a fan and dehumidifier to fully dry the area - Be sure you're emptying the dehumidifier regularly so all remaining water in the air and walls can be eliminated quickly.
Once you have taken these immediate steps to prevent any further damage, a leak repair expert can help restore your property back to it's original state and prevent basement leaking in the future.
Do I need to take care of my wet basement problem now?
Many homeowners postpone waterproofing their basements because they are unaware of the severe damage that can be caused by water penetrating the foundation. Neglecting a basement water problem can result in costly foundation structural repairs. It is wise to have a professional inspect your basement if there is any question that you might have a water problem.
Will waterproofing my basement increase the value of my home?
Money spent for a permanently dry basement typically pays off in an immediate increase in the market value of a home.
Does water in my basement mean foundation issues?
As any homeowner knows, a water problem in the basement can be highly concerning. Even if it's just condensation from humid air, it's worth investigating further to determine if there is an underlying structural issue causing the moisture.
If you suspect that your basement water might be caused by foundation issues, it's time to bring in a professional for an assessment. A specialist can evaluate your home and appraisal records, identify any cracks or other damage related to foundational issues, and help you understand the best course of action for repairing the issue and restoring your peace of mind.
Why Ram Jack Illinois
Not sure who to call when your basement floods or when there's water in your basement? Choosing the right contractor can be overwhelming.
Here are a few reasons why Safeguard Waterproofing - Ram Jack Illinois is a top-choice for repairing basement leaks in Chicago:
- You can request references from us. It is important to make sure a prospective contractor has satisfied customers from your area. Safeguard has 1000s of references available.
- You can contact the Better Business Bureau. All contractors have complaints, but if the contractor has a large amount of resolved or unresolved complaints, be careful! The BBB was created to protect consumers and alert prospective consumers. Safeguard’s BBB history is one of the best in the industry.
- You will always receive a written contract. If any promises are not in writing don’t assume they will be done. Safeguard has a separate agreement attached to the contract outline everything we will do and any additional services.
- The lowest bid usually results in a poor or incomplete job. A contractor’s bargain price may be more attractive than his finished product. Safeguard offers competitive quotes that are standard in the industry and has a fixed price list.